Tuesday, November 10, 2009

An Update

I know it's been forever since I've updated this thing, so here goes. . .

We had our sweet baby Michael on Oct. 24th (his actual due date) at about 10:30 pm. He weighed 7 lbs 14 oz. and was 20 in. long. While I was going through the lovely delivery process and trying to push him out, I had a blood vessel burst which left me with a vulvor hematoma. Basically, it's like a giant bruise or blood clot in a really sensitive area. I won't go into gorrey details, but lets just say it was like having a softball between your legs and every time you move, you think you'll pass out from the pressure it puts down there. Needless to say, I had to spend the night in the delivery room with my epidural still running for pain control. The delivery doctor thought I would need to go into surgery immediately, but after a second opinion decided to see if my body would reabsorb the hematoma on it's own. I ended up spending 4 days in the hospital and was finally sent home with my catheter still in place and me still in excruciating pain. After a week at home, I went back to the doctor to get my catheter removed only to find out that I couldn't get it removed because I was still so swollen, and oh ya, I would need to have surgery asap- tomorrow.

So, the next day I went in for surgery to have the hematoma extracted. A couple of hours later and 200 cc's lighter (about 1 cup) the softball with it's accompanying pressure was gone. I couldn't believe the difference! I was able to sit up right, I could walk without being hunched over, every movement didn't make me wince! It really was a miracle.

The whole experience made me wonder what I was supposed to learn from it. I've decided that one of the answers is to show me that priesthood blessing are true. The Lord is mindful of our burdens and He will make them light. Faith is essential to making it through our trials. I also learned that sometimes it takes difficult experiences to help us realize our blessings. I am so grateful for my kids, but I didn't realize how I missed being able to pick them up, play with them, feed them. I don't overlook these little blessings so easily anymore. I LOVE being a mom. No matter the cost.

2 weeks later, all is well. I'm still recovering, but I can move around nicely and almost feel back to the old me. Michael has gained a pound and is doing well. He still has some heart problems (he was born with a couple of heart murmurs), but I believe they will resolve themselves over time. Quinton is great and is adjusting to being the big brother. Adam and I are finally under contract to buy a house and if all goes as planned, we'll be moving in over Thanksgiving weekend. Life is good. Count your blessings and don't sweat the small stuff!

7 comments:

Mary said...

Lindsey - WOW! Congratulations on the new baby. I'm so glad you are feeling better. What a horrible experience to have to endure, but I appreciated your eternal perspective. Your words were a perfect reminder to me. I hope you continue to feel better every day and enjoy your two boys. They are so cute! Good Luck with the house!!

Heidi said...

Oh Linds! I"m sorry you had to go through such a tramatic experience! I'm glad everything is okay now. Your baby is beautiful! Let is know if there is anything we can do for you!Seriously.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. I am so sorry that happened. I am glad that everything is better now. I love your outlook about it all. I miss you as my VT partner.

Keep in touch!

Doty Family said...

He is darling. I wish we could come and see you guys and give him a hug! And you. I talked to Adam and he didn't even mention any of this. Just like a man!!! He did mention that Micheal had the heart problems. We will keep you all in our prayers. I'm glad you guys will be moving into a house soon! Miss you! Hugs!

Amy said...

Wow Lindsey what a crazy story!! I'm so glad you're ok!! Michael is beautiful and I'm so happy for you! Good luck being a mom of two. I know you must be a wonderful mom!!

Chad said...

Congrats on everything! I'm glad you finally got rid of that HORRIBLE pain. You really made me feel better about the pregnancy pains that I've been going through the past couple weeks...and still have a couple weeks to go. Good luck with the new house and everything!

Evans Family said...

OH my gosh! What a birth story! What a tuff woman you are. Thanks for sharing. I love being able to keep up with you through technology. Sorry about the christmas cards....:)